Game Artist / Apply NowGame Art and Animation
3D Modeling and Texturing Artist, 3D Animator, 3D Environment Artist, 3D Character Designer, Game Concept Artist, 2D Game Artist, User Interface Artist, Technical Artist
Qualities of a Game Artist
- Has a passion and an innate talent for making art.
- Values traditional art techniques as much as digital tools.
- Is highly creative and loves exploring new areas of visual art and design.
- Enjoys problem solving to find the best solutions.
- Loves technology and is willing to be bold and fearless when it comes to learning new things.
- Is intellectually curious and loves to explore all kinds of topics and visual resources for inspiration.
- Is a good communicator and likes working with others.
Portfolio Submission Requirement
What are we looking for? We want to see your best work. This can be traditional drawing and painting images, or they can be digital. Ideally, we’d like to see both. What is important is that all the images are your original work. Here are some points to consider:
- Make sure everything in your portfolio is recent work (no more than two years old) and is only your very best work.
- We want to see drawings, paintings, illustration, characters, 3D models and textures, 2D or 3D animation, physical or digital sculpture.
- If you have a number of images of the same kind, such as drawings or paintings, put them together as a collection in a single .pdf file.
- Add some notes to each image when you upload it so we know what the image medium was and your intent or purpose of the image.
- Everything should be your own work. We prefer you don’t modify images, or collage them unless they are yours. If you do present work that focuses on image modification or manipulation make sure you credit the original source. Use of copyrighted images will disqualify your portfolio.
- We highly value creativity, so show us your style and talents to the best of your ability, not just your technical expertise.
Game artists need many different experiences in creating visual media. We also expect most of our Game Art and Animation students to come in with basic drawing skills. Experience in Photoshop is also helpful. Here is a list of some suggested areas of study and areas of exploration:
- Traditional drawing and painting including the human figure and perspective
- Graphic Design
- Art History and Architecture
- Sculpture, traditional or digital
- Film and Animation
- Adobe Creative Suite especially Photoshop
- Any digital painting tools
- Maya, 3DS Max, Z-brush or any other 3D package